Vegan Caesar Salad by Melissa D’Arabian – Adapted by Cecilia Steger – Best with all organic ingredients.
1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews
¼ cup raw walnuts
¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ cup lemon juice
2-3 peeled garlic cloves
2 tsps. Dijon mustard
2 Tbs. white or red miso paste
Pepper to taste
3 Hearts of Romaine, roughly torn
2 cups croutons or homemade bread cubes, brushed with olive oil and toasted. OPTIONAL for those with no carb issues.
Place cashews in a small bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Toast walnuts in a dry skillet, preferably cast iron or in a 400 degree oven, tossing frequently till warm brown.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the walnuts, yeast and garlic. Pulse until well ground. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and transfer to processor or blender. Add the lemon juice, fresh garlic cloves, water, miso and pepper.
- Blend until the mixture is mostly smooth. Taste, adjust seasonings and whirl again until fairly smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the dressing, then top with croutons, if so desired and the ground walnut mix.
The original recipe called for ¼ cup of olive oil but the water when blended in the machine emulsified just as well and therefore I was able to reduce the calorie count by 480 calories.